Main | Disc Golf Meetups Login to Reply
Visiting Paw Paw from Richmond, VA
mshelton

Hey guys,

I'm planning on coming up to the Paw Paw course thursday or friday on my way to visit some friends outside of Keyser. I'm really looking forward to playing the courses, just wondering if there is anything I should know before heading up there. Like if there's a tournament going on or if they shut down on certain days. Also does anyone know if the shop (if they have one) is open during the week, would be nice to pick up a course stamp disc or two.

Thanks for any information,

Marshall

Posted: June-28-2011 3:44 am
Re:Visiting Paw Paw from Richmond, VA
jestermeister

If you're going to be playing at Paw Paw, just be sure that you pay $5 at the Woodshed.  There's a box or a metal can in there & it's a honor system.  Bring plenty of fluids, in a cooler if possible.  The only place where you can buy drinks nearby would be the small gas station in the town of Paw Paw.  There's also a small pizza restaurant - Anthony's Jr I believe, if you're hungry.

Bring OFF Deep Outdoors bug spray.  Expect to deal with gnats everywhere at that course & look out for ticks.  Also make sure you look before you reach for your discs, especially around fallen trees & shrubs.  It shouldn't be too hard to find your way around from one basket to the next tee.  They don't have a shop, but I'm sure the owners (Spencer and Gabi) will be there and you can look them up and ask if they have Paw Paw stamped discs for sale. 

There's no tournaments going on this weekend, nor is there any events so you should be able to stop by and get a round or two in, if you're planning on playing at both courses.  It'll take quite a while, about 2 to 3 hours to play each course.  Just keep an eye on where the disc goes, especially if there's high grass along the fairways. 

If you have time to play elsewhere after Paw Paw, you can stop by at Winchester, VA's Jim Barnett Park course.  They just had 9 new baskets installed not too long ago to go with the first 9 baskets to make it an 18 basket course.  If you're planning on camping at Paw Paw, it's also $5 per day/per person.  Still cheaper than most campgrounds and a great deal considering that you'll be camping on a disc golf course!  If you ever need firewood, they'll provide you a bundle for a small fee as well.

There's 2 ways to get to the Woodshed, so make sure you have the correct directions in handy.

Posted: June-28-2011 6:13 pm
mshelton

Thanks Jester, I'm looking forward to getting up there.

The directions I have are off Gaither/Loop rd, kinda where the discgolfcourse review site has the marker for the Whipping Post. I checked out the satelite view of it from Google maps and there seems to be a barn or structure there and I figured that might be the place.

Posted: June-30-2011 3:32 pm
jestermeister

Yep, you got that right and can't miss that barn.  Some of these baskets may be visible at the turn with the big yellow flags before you get to the entrance and the barn on the right.

Posted: June-30-2011 7:21 pm
mshelton

Found it with a small detour on Detour road of course.

Didn't get to meet the owners and only got to play the Woodshed, ran out of time.

Course is definately an ass kicker but fun, would love to see it all fixed up for a big tourney if they host any more there.

Thanks for the help

Posted: July-05-2011 3:34 am