Main | Course Chit Chat Login to Reply
Mowing at Fairmont
spreadicus
As you all have probably seen for yourself, the mowing at Morris Park in Fairmont, in particular the disc golf course, has not been mowed very much if, at all. This park should be enjoyable by all participants of park activities including: disc golfers, tennis and basketball players, picnic and playground area frequenters ... everyone one of these folks deserves to have a park that is well maintained by the city as it is their job. Will we allow the city to save a few extra dollars in gasoline to punish our leisure time at the park? I say you should not stand idly by and contact your city of Fairmont representative and politely ask for them to mow the entire park including the disc golf course.

Contact James Snider, City Manager of Fairmont at 304-366-6211 ext. 315 and ask politely to please mow the grass at Morris Park including the very frequented disc golf course.

City Manager of Fairmont # again is 304-366-6211 x315

Thanks for your help and disc on!

Posted: May-27-2008 2:45 am
Re:Mowing at Fairmont
jestermeister
It seemed to be like that for the past 2 years to me, especially early in the spring.  it kind of sucked having to walk around the course thru all that high grass.  It's a nuisance when you're trying to have fun, but gotta deal with the part where you're itchin' your legs!  It's a bit of a disgrace that they're allowing the park to go unmowed for extended periods of time & giving that park an unfavorable appearance as if it's run-down and not very well maintained.  That's an outrage to everyone in the disc golf community, especially those who are driving thru the town of Fairmont to play a round only to discover that it's not up to par.

Posted: May-27-2008 5:01 am
richardhead

I'm from Atlanta Ga.  I play the Seth Burton Course 1-2 times a year when I'm home to visit my dad and grandmother.  I've played courses all over the US.  Seth Burton ranks in my top ten.  I played on Memorial Day and was unhappy to see the grass so high.  I didn't let it deter me from playing a great course that I love.  I haven't played since you guys added the Orange Crush.  Unfortunately I couldn't find those holes.  I'm happy so say that I shot my personal best 46 from the long tee's.  I also had a jump putt ace on 9.  I played it from the short tees because it's more fun. 

That being said, I hope that the city can take an interest in our sport and make every attempt to clean up the course.  I will still play in high grass, but would much rather soak in the beauty of a fresh mown fairway.

I also played the Songer course on the way home Thursday.  It's off of route 19 for those that haven't played it.  I'm glad I stopped.  I love playing different courses.  There were a few nice holes.  I used my putter off of the tee on all but 3 holes.  I deuced 13 of the 18 holes.  I wouldn't play this course everyday but it's fun for a driving break.

For those involved at Seth Burton, keep up the good work.  It's awesome for a traveler to have a great home course away from home.

Jay Phillips

Posted: May-30-2008 3:09 pm
discus stu
Thanks for the kind words Richard, if you really want to help our cause then contact the city at their given phone # listed above and tell them you are concerned about the mowing. It is sad state of affairs because the disc golf course gets more use than any other form of recreation at Morris Park!

thanks again and keep us posted on your next visit, maybe we can play a round of Orange Crush!

Discus Stu has Ouzo for Twouzo!!

Posted: May-30-2008 9:51 pm
vanadaar
I understand that they probably have a thousand things to do right now, but the mowing at Morris Park never seems to be at the top of that list. I am working on getting an email address as well. I remember a couple people sent emails last year and it started to get done.

As a Fairmont resident it worries me to see that a community park is so neglected as not only does it affect the aesthetics of the park but it can have an influence on property values, home sales among other things. Morgantown and Clarksburg seem to be able to keep up, why not Fairmont. Even the tennis courts are an eye sore. Palatine Park sure is taken care of, and it gets less everyday use than Morris Park.

That being said. I am still having a lot of fun on the yellow course. I just have to get my disc a little higher. The grass is just another obstacle. lol

Clang. Crap.

Posted: May-30-2008 9:51 pm
vanadaar
Please keep your emails respectful. If you are a resident of Fairmont, make sure you mention you are a taxpayer to the city. Morris Park is a City Park, not a MCPARC. According to the City of Fairmont website:

Public Works

* Maintainance of City Parks

Contact Information:
Joe Feltz - Public Works Operations Supervisor
Phone: 304-363-3883
jfeltz@fairmontwv.gov
Hours: 7AM - 3PM

Clang. Crap.

Posted: May-31-2008 4:35 am