Main | WVDGA Login to Reply
Promoting Disc Golf
geocaver

I am a wheeling, WV resident. Suprisingly, there is not a disc golf course in Wheeling, WV.

Considering this web page is "Promoting Disc Golf Across the State of West Virginia"

How can i get in touch with people that would like to help organize  a cource in Wheeling, WV?

Posted: June-09-2009 9:37 pm
Re:Promoting Disc Golf
spreadicus
Hey GeoCaver, our club could help locate someone in the Wheeling area to help with course design. The first step would be to contact Wheeling's Park and Rec group to see where a course could be installed.

Disc Life and the PDGA both have good documents on course proposals and identifying key course design aspects as well.

http://www.pdga.com/course-development

http://www.disclife.com/propdoor.shtml

Should get you off to a good start, I know there are courses nearby Wheeling like Hico, WV and East Liverpool, OH.

Keep in touch and maybe Oglebey Park will be our next stop on the WV disc golf tour!

Posted: June-09-2009 10:30 pm
jestermeister
Hico, WV is supposed to be Chester, WV.  It's the only course closest to Wheeling in WV.  Another course that's not too far from Wheeling would be Beatty Park in Steubenville, OH. 

Posted: June-10-2009 12:19 am
spreadicus
oh good call, I always mix up the 2 courses in WV that I have not played - hico and chester. Chester is not much of a course from the reviews I have heard.

Of course you do have the luxury of Pittsburgh disc golf at Knob Hill and Schenley at your fingertips.

Posted: June-10-2009 3:19 pm
jestermeister
You got it exactly right regarding Chester.  We've played there once on our way up to play at East Liverpool a couple years ago and it's nothing special.  Majority of the baskets are relatively short and deuceable, except for one.  It's great for beginners and those just getting into the sport, but not so for those who want a challenge & advanced/open players.  

Posted: June-11-2009 2:46 am
jestermeister
Looks like there's a new disc golf course that's either done or still in the process.  I'd say that it's getting the bid in at this point.

This was dated on May 30th at Marshall County Tourism:
  "Also as a special prelude to a future project, there will be a Disc Golf Demo and free practice course for patrons of all ages to learn how to play Disc Golf."

Another quote from a different source & the Weeling newspapers on July 8th  "The Intelligencer/Wheeling News-Register" below:

"He and the commissioners agreed that extended hours now offered at the park may be contributing to the high number of patrons. White also noted that crews have been clearing brush and trees from some areas of the site, making way for an upcoming disc golf tournament"

This was posted on Paul's Facebook Status today:  "will be playing the inugural round of Disc Golf at the Duvall Championship Disc Golf course in GrandVue. First throw is at 10:00 am. Come join us!"

I'm assuming that Duvall designed the course and upon further review, it's Harold Duvall, a former World Champion (1982). 

I commented on Paul's status and suggested that he should post any future disc golf events in Wheeling here & hopefully most of us will be able to make it! 

Posted: July-10-2009 4:43 pm
friendofgeddy

Sounds cool!

Good job guys!

Posted: July-11-2009 12:28 am
ohiokenny
Is there a Ohio River Open this year nothing on PDGA about a tournament 

Posted: July-14-2009 6:14 am
spreadicus
I have only heard rumors that it will be in October.

Posted: July-14-2009 6:28 am
discus stu
October 3-4

http://www.pdga.com/event?TournID=9485

Discus Stu has Ouzo for Twouzo!!

Posted: August-25-2009 5:19 am